Wednesday 7 September 2011

01



Today is my 25th birthday.

Between you and me, I am not happy about this at all. In spite of my “age is just a number” stance, the quarter of a century milestone is not one that I welcome with open arms.

For a start, I cannot relate to my peers. Life has been interesting, definitely, and I have learnt a lot, yes. However, circumstances have kept me from keeping up with the usual pace and social norms. The people that I went to school with seem to be working every available hour and having babies, moving in with partners and saving up for something important. Meanwhile, I live like a teenager. I am awake all night and asleep all morning, pyjamas are my staple wardrobe and I eat dinner at midnight - sometimes straight out of the pan. It is time to make some changes.

Last week I watched a film (Beautiful Kate, I recommend it), in which I heard the line “youth is beauty and beauty is youth”. This caught my attention, what with the impending milestone. Up until recently, for reasons that I will talk about another time, I have not had the opportunity to truly enjoy being young. But is my youth over today? According to results of a survey last year, the average Briton thinks that youth ends at 35, in which case, I am good for another ten years – hooray.

On Saturday I was given a particularly clichéd palm reading by a self-proclaimed-world-renowned clairvoyant over at the Orsett Show. The usual ground was covered: “you are destined to travel to foreign shores”, “do not look for love, love will find you”… but then she looked me right in the eye and said “life will get better but you must not be lazy”. Of course, this struck a chord and I certainly did not need to pay £20 to hear it. Ah, just when she was getting somewhere, she proceeded to tell me of my past life as a witch who cast love spells…

So, I need to make a birthday resolution, lest I reach 30, still pottering about at home in my pyjamas and wondering what on earth I’ve been doing for the past five years. Yes, my resolution shall be to stop procrastinating.

These photographs are inspired by The Kumari Devi of Nepal, also known as The Living Goddess. I thought it appropriate, what with all this talk of youth.





The Kumari are believed to be the incarnation of Taleju, a deity specific to Nepal. A pre-pubescent girl from the Shakya community is selected based on a list of criteria - 32 attributes of perfection. She must have an appropriate horoscope and be able to remain fearless throughout a series of frightening rituals. Once the true goddess has been elected, she lives her life in a temple and her feet must not touch the ground outside. Her life becomes a series of rituals and blessings until the day that she starts menstruating – she then reverts back to her common status and is expected to seamlessly return to ordinary life. Many of the girls struggle to adapt. Other reasons for the Kumari to lose their goddess status include loss of teeth and serious illness. For more information, see this video: Kumari.

For the record, I have 0/32 of the attributes.
Welcome to my blog. Let's see if it doesn't end up in the ever-growing pile of unfinished endeavours. No promises.

5 comments:

  1. unlike the "pretty" poem, you are just plain beautiful. :-}~

    will have to utube kumari soon; sounds like a storytale..comme Little Princess (1995). but tonight, 25 more pages are waiting for me..as they did yesterday. sounds like a type of sushi btw. humility must count for something deitiful..1+ for you. and gold star.

    i'll help poke you to motivation as a reminder to not abandon your adoptive child--the Blog. and only bc i'll want to poke you..

    hmm..i'd like water for eyes just like that Geisha movie :-/ --oh!..you were in a hospital without touching off-property. and you have all your teeth. that's probly not what you were relating to so much as the return to society, but ooh, i do like coinkadinks.
    nap now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very beautiful woman who has had an awful lot thrown at them in your 25 years but now that you are getting out and about you can start over and find real happiness. I know you can do it, and for the record, I am only 2 years off of my 50th AAAGGGGGHHHHHH.
    Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your first post and hope you will continue your blog. Like many of your peers I spent my youth working every available hour...not so much for money, but because I got caught up in the enterprise of what I was doing. Some wealth and title followed, but in the end I don't know that it was a fair trade for my youth. In reading your post I think that you clearly understand value of your youth. Whether youth last to age 35, 40 or 50 is open to debate, but it is a fleeting gift. Enjoy it. You don't have to follow social norms...pursuing materialism or raising a family, But you do have to make your own way in the world. I am one of your contacts on Flickr and have followed your photography for some time now. You have a lot of talent and clearly have a passion for it. Pursue it and perhaps it will define you. Here is a link to video about another photographer who followed his passion and it changed his life:

    http://lightpaintingphotography.com/light-painting-photography/ball-of-light-denis-smith-interview/

    You may not like his style of photography...but he has turned it into a career he enjoys and he has developed quite a following. Perhaps you can do the same.

    Cheers,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I have been looking forward to this. Maybe someday we can travel to Nepal!! I too have had the same thoughts, 25 was a very hard milestone for me too but when I think about what I would have been doing as a career if I had graduated from high school, (primary you call it, right?) I would be in radio and miserable. Everything happens for a reason, this is one of my favorite and most cliche quotes but seems so true. So, today is our now. Our new beginning! Me and you will have to keep each other motivated as we head off in into our futures! Do I see a creative joint venture in the future for us? Graphic Designer and photog? The world is our oyster...eat up! (wait, you're vegetarian...the world is our lemon? squeeze it? lol) Anyhow, I enjoyed this post and will many in the future!

    Jordan

    ps. responding to your email now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the comments! I'm not sure how to respond to them inidivdually - maybe it isn't even possible. So a generic thanks shall have to do for now :)

    ReplyDelete